In 1309 the Monastery of the Poor Clares was built in the Meraner Kornplatz by Archduchess Euphemia. For 500 years this foundation shaped the city of Merano. In addition to the church of St. Nikolaus, the church of the monastery was the most important sacred building in the city. The Poor Clares were also the only medieval nunnery in Merano. The monastery was the center of the devotion to Saint Mary, it was a school for young girls, hosted local brotherhoods and guilds, and was a cemetery of many local citizens and aristocrats.